Friday, April 6, 2007

THE HISTORY OF Katherinejane

Katherinejane one word?
My first name is Katherine. My middle name is Jane.

Katherine was the name of my Irish grandmother. I remember that she always doodled while chatting on the phone, she taught me how to play tile, wanted me to be a nurse and she meet her husband of 52 years on a blind date. They had a long courtship due to the Great Depression and an even longer love affair. I also remember that my grandfather always called my grandmother dear.

Jane was the name of my Peruvian grandmother. Juanita in Spanish. I never meet her in person but I grew to love her through stories and precious photographs. I know that she was an amazing chef and was always in the kitchen despite having a hired cook to prepare the family dinners. I know she feed the poor in the neighborhood. I also know that when my uncles and grandfather forbade my mother from marrying my father (an American) that it was my grandmother who stood up for true love!! My grandmother fell in love with my father not just because of his blue eyes, their walks to the bakery together arm in arm or because he spoke fluent Spanish, but because he truly loved her daughter.

Katherinejane…one word!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment